Thursday, June 10, 2004

Digital Film

Digital Film versus regular cameras. There is so much more that digital film can do for us as educators. I feel I need to think at a higher grade level than 2nd grade. Then I think back to the fact that I need to get over being scared and let them use the technology. Several teachers use still cameras to take pictures. They then have to send off the film, cut the pictures to the size they need and then do whatever it is they are doing. It takes a least a week to finish the project because they have to wait for the film to be developed. Digital cameras are easier, faster, and less expensive. The teachers don't have to worry about whether or not the pictures will turn out, because they can view them immediately. If they don't like it, they can erase it. Once they have their pictures, they can get on the computer and use several different programs to load the pictures. Then they can change the size, lighting, contrast, red eye, and almost any other thing they want. They can paste the picture they took onto another picture and print it. Boom! The project is done in one day and they didn't have to pay anyone to develop film. I think even 2nd graders would be responsible enough to take pictures under supervision. The question is, "Would the principle agree with me?"
I guess if I did it in my classroom and the camera didn't get broke it wouldn't really matter. Although this is a really good tool for teachers, I don't think teachers will take advantage of it. If teachers are scared of using their computers, then there is no way they will use digital cameras.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home